Sunday, September 25, 2016

Oil your Guitar's Fret Board

Oil your Guitar's Fret Board

Shared from the Guitar answer guy at: 
http://www.guitaranswerguy.com/

At some point in every guitar owner’s journey they’ll hear the following advice: “You should oil your guitar’s fretboard.”...

The following are things that I’ve personally used over the years and recommend as safe and effective for fretboards:

1. Music Nomad F-One Fretboard Oil Cleaner & Conditioner

Safe For: Unfinished rosewood, ebony, and maple fretboards.
I discovered the Music Nomad company (and products) about 8 months ago. So, I ordered some of their F-ONE oil to try out as a possible replacement for the plain mineral oil I’d been using for years. I absolutely loved it, and it’s all I use now on fretboards. Even though it says “cleaner” I really only use it for conditioning after I’ve given my fretboards a thorough cleaning via other means. This can be used on unfinished rosewood, ebony, and even maple fretboards.
Music Nomad F-ONE Fretboard Oil Cleaner and Conditioner
Music Nomad F-ONE Fretboard Oil Cleaner and Conditioner. Awesome stuff!

2. Plain Mineral Oil

Safe For: Unfinished rosewood, ebony, and maple fretboards.
This is what I used for years: just plain mineral oil. It’s the same stuff you can drink as a laxative. Though I’m providing an Amazon link here to an excellent brand (which I’ve used), you can also just grab a little bottle of it pretty cheaply at your local grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Just be sure it’s pure and doesn’t have any weird additives such as colors or scents. Since you’ll only be oiling your fretboard once a year (or less), you only need a small bottle.

Bayes Mineral Oil Wood Protectant 8oz
Bayes Mineral Oil Wood Protectant. Good stuff, but any similar mineral oil will do.

3. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner

Safe For: Unfinished rosewood and ebony fretboards. Purportedly safe for maple too (I’ve not personally used them on maple, so do your own research).
I used some of these a couple years ago, and thought they worked well. There’s the added advantage that they’re individually packaged, which makes them very convenient. I’ve known many people over the years who absolutely love them and swear by them. Start with the 6-pack. If you only own 1 guitar, then the 6 pack should technically last you at least 6 years. Apparently, some people use them on the BACK of the neck as well, but I’ve never tried this.
Ernie Ball 4276 Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner, 6 Pack
Ernie Ball 4276 Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner. Tried ’em, liked ’em.

No comments:

Post a Comment