Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Cool Sounds. Closeups of Gretsch Dobro Guitar and Reviews

The Cool Sounds and Closeups of Gretsch Dobro Guitar



The music was done by a buddy of mine Murray Braun.
I believe he used a Fender Strat guitar. He is a great player.
These guitars are very reasonably priced.

Giuliano Iezzi1 wrote: Great! The test for Gretsch G9240 (acoustic) has the backing track played with Electric FENDER Stratocaster. Nice sound, the strato of course!

Image for G9240 Alligator Biscuit Roundneck Acoustic Resonator Guitar from SamAsh

Description

The miracle of volume! When you play chunk rhythm, finger-style, bottleneck or anything else, the all-mahogany deluxe-appointed G9240 Alligator Biscuit Roundneck resonator guitar projects its distinctively swampy tones all the way to the back door of any dance hall. Like all fine Gretsch resonator guitars, the vital feature of the G9240 is the all-new Gretsch "Ampli-Sonic" diaphragm (resonator cone). Hand-spun in Eastern Europe from nearly 99-percent pure aluminum, the Ampli-Sonic diaphragm yields an impressive quality and volume of tone. Case not included.

Features:

  • Series: Roots Collection
  • Body Material: Laminated Mahogany
  • Body Shape: Non-Cutaway
  • Body Back: Laminated Mahogany
  • Body Sides: Laminated Mahogany
  • Body Top: Laminated Mahogany
  • Body Finish: Semi-Gloss Vintage Sunburst
  • Bracing: Internal Sound-Well
  • Purfling: Black/White
  • F Holes Sound Holes: "F" Holes
  • Body Depth: 3.5" (89 mm)
  • Body Length: 18.87" (479 mm)
  • Body Width Upper Bout: 9.875" (251 mm)
  • Body Width Lower Bout: 14.125" (359 mm)
  • Body Binding: Aged White/Black/White
  • Neck Shape: Medium "V"
  • Number of Frets: 19 (12 to Body)
  • Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
  • Position Inlays: Pearloid Dot
  • Fingerboard Radius: 15.75" (400 mm)
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Neck Material: Mahogany
  • Neck Finish: Semi-Gloss Vintage Sunburst
  • Nut Width: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
  • Scale Length: 25" (635 mm)
  • Headstock: 1930's Gretsch 3x3
  • Neck Binding: Aged White
  • Truss Rods: Dual-Action Head Adjust
  • Truss Rod Nut: Hex
  • Hardware Finish: Nickel-Plated
  • Bridge: Biscuit - Hard Maple with Ebony/Maple Saddle
  • Bridge Cover: Weathered
  • Tuning Machines: Grover Sta-Tite Die-Cast
  • String Nut: Bone
  • Strings: D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze, Light (.012-.053 Gauges)
  • Unique Features: Gretsch Ampli-Sonic Biscuit Resonator Cone; Weathered Poinsettia Cone Cover and Trapeze Tailpiece.
  • Case: Not Included
  • Included Accessories: Truss-Rod Hex Wrench

Gretsch® G9240 "Alligator™" Round Neck Demo

Watch as musician Jon Rauhouse tests out the new Gretsch® 
G9240 "Alligator™" Round Neck.

Click here (http://www.gretschguitars.com/product...) to
 learn more about the new Gretsch Roots Collection.


Reviews


Disappointment? More like addiction.

I own an older Electromatic Gretsch, a 5127, and it is still one of my favorite guitars ever. The current ones are great guitars. The new blacktop filtertrons are great pickups that get a lot of love from Gretsch guys. They're well made guitars that sound great.... 

But, they can be gateway guitars as well. Once you own one Gretsch, a ProLine might be just down the road. But, the ProLine won't be a replacement, it'll be an augmentation! (axis29)

he only way you are going to know, is to play one of your guitars ( listed above) and then play a ProLine model.

I went through the same process a few years ago. 

I was able to find a "showroom" Gretsch Black Falcon at a great price, about 6 years ago.
Some of my friend playing friends like the Electromatic series. 
They might work / sound ok for you.

But ... you might be able to find a used "Proline" model in your area. 
Gretschs are an amazing guitar, and the "Gretsch" tone is worth adding to your collection. (Steve)

Well, I think the blacktop Filtertrons will give up the Gretschiness...

But, let me tell you a story: My friend Lance and I headed up to Chuck Levin's a while ago (he had a PRS that needed some warranty work). My friend Lance wanted to try the Gretsches. Knowing I could never afford it, I picked up this cool baby blue hollowbody. He picked up a Reverend Horton Heat orange jobby. 

We went over to the racks of amps. I asked which one first, and he handed my the RHH. I plugged it in and thought, 'Yeah, that's Gretsch, right there'. I fiddled with it for a bit. It felt great, sounded wonderful... really a great guitar. 

But, I wanted to hear what the Blue baby sounded like. The second I hit the string we both looked at each other and said, 'YEAH, that's it, right there!'.

Being the total addict I am I went to the counter and asked how much... When the salesguy told me, I called BS on him. No way was a guitar that cost just over 7 bills with tax the same guitar in my hands. Sure enough, the Electromatic line... Well, you coulda knocked me over with a feather. 

The difference in tone really was the pickups. The RHH has Filters and the Electro has Dearmond 2000's (not exact copies of the old Dynasonics, made by Dearmond back in the 50's). Both Gretsch tones, but the Dearmonds are single coils... kinda like polite P90's. Sadly, they discontinued these pickups. These days I also own a ProLine Sparkle Jet, a 6129TLS with HS Filtertrons and love that guitar as well. The two guitars fight for #1 position constantly.

What I'm trying to get at is that Gretsch has done a great job with all fo their modenr guitars. If you buy anything with a Filtertron, Fidelitron or Blacktop Filtertron, you will get Gretsch. They are just slightly different flavors of the same thing. Don't be afraid of Gretsches less expensive lines.

Although the 5120's with Gretschbuckers don't do the Gretsch thing very well. I haven't had the opportunity to try one of the new Streamliners yet. I hear they are better than the old Gretschbuckers, but are still not really Filtertron toned either.


And, I have to admit, I've been eying those double cut 5445 double jets for a while. I love the humpblock inlays! ((axis29))





No comments:

Post a Comment